Thursday, July 16, 2009

Week Two



It has been another crazy, crazy week. I continue to have my German classes from 8:45 to 1:00 and then have afternoon activities. On Monday we visited Beethoven`s birthplace. His birth house has been turned into a museum that holds most of his original possessions. In the basement there was an amazing digital interactive Beethoven opera and outside there was a garden with statues of him sent in by artists all over the world. It was really neat.


On Tuesday we went to the Waste Management Facilities of Bonn. I found it really interesting. The Germans are so much more environmentally friendly, but I will write a blog about that later. We also toured the incineration plant. Not the most glamourous thing, but it is important.
Later that night I went to the movies to see Ice Age 3 with my host mother and her friends. It was in German, but I was surprised how much I understood.


Wednesday we watched a movie about the Remagen Bridge of the Rhine River. I tried to pay attention, but war films really are not my thing. The actor who plays Mr. Slugworth in the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory made a short appearance as a general in the film, so I had to laugh when someone said,"I need you to bring me the secret formula for an Everlasting Gobstopper." It was hilarious. One of the many side-splittingly funny moments I`ve had with this group. In the evening we dressed up nicely and went to a concert performed by the Bonn University Orchestra. It was a really nice show. It makes me wish I could play an instrument.


Today we took a 20 kilometer bikeride to this Remagen Bridge that we had watched the movie about and took a tour of the museum there. We ate lunch at a delicious Italian restaurant and has gelato afterwards. Yum! Then we had to bike the 20 kilometers back, but it wasn`t that bad. The ride was right along the Rhine River and it was absolutely beautiful.


Tomorrow we actually have the afternoon off. I know what I'll be doing-sleeping! I leave early Saturday morning to visit Neuschwanstein Castle. I will write about that next week!

1 comment:

  1. We made it back in good time too, and I am not as sore today as I thought I would be.

    ReplyDelete