Sunday, July 12, 2009

Another Fun Filled Weekend

I'm starting to get used to constant stimulation now. On Thursday we had class in the morning then we went to the city of Cologne in the afternoon. It was such an amazing place with lots of history dating back to the ancient Roman Times and so many things to see. As soon as we walked out of the trainstation the first thing you see is the enormous Cathedral of Cologne which is quite impressive. There were very talented street performers including one that looked exactly like a statue of a 19th century gentleman. I had to give him a euro because you couldn't even tell he was a real person unless you were less than a meter away. One of the program leaders, Hartwig, gave us a tour (one of four I'm told) of his city. He was very passionate about it and knew so many little details that normal tour guide would not know. At the end there was a bakery testing. He bought us samples of different pastries and we voted on our favorite (Apfel Strudel!).
Since we missed the fourth of July back in the U.S., the program director threw a big barbacque party for us on Friday with all the host families and staff members. There was tons of food, music, laughter and games. Afterwards a few other students and I went to play a game of ultimate frisbee on the Bonn University lawn. I had a little misshap on my train (got off on the wrong stop) but I figured it out and everything was fine.

Saturday I went to the market with my hostmother and we bought food for the weekend. The strawberries are in season now and they are amazing! I can eat a whole kilo by myself! Then we went to the Haribo Gummy Bear factory. There were so many different types of gummies! They had these huge vats filled with gummies and you could just pick what you wanted and pay by the kilo. It was awesome. That night we went to one of the other student's house for a small birthday celebration. We had some more delicious food then headed out to the club! There were about 20 of us and we totally brought the party to that club. It was really fun. Viel Spaß!

No comments:

Post a Comment