Monday, July 20, 2009

A Trip to Bavaria










My weekend started with my hostmother's friend's birthday party at a Spanish restaurant in downtown Bonn. She is from Equador, so I got to practice my spanish a bit with her. We had paella and olives for dinner and gelato for dessert. SO good.I also had a bit of sangria. <.< The atmosphere reminded me a lot of Argentina. There was live music playing and a lot of jolly fat men with mustaches. We made it back to our apartment around one in the morning.




Just a few hours after I went to bed I had to get up again to go to Bavaria! It was about a 5 hour drive. ( Germany is about the size of the state of Montana. Nothing is too far) We went with my hostmom's friend, Lutz, in his BMW. When we got there we had to rush to put our stuff in the inn and drive to the castle to catch our tour. The weather was a little wet, but the castle was still absolutely breath-taking. It really looks like Cinderella's castle (it was the inspiration for the Disney castle). The inside was covered in hand painted murals and all kinds of antique furniture and trinkets. On the way back to the inn we stopped at a medieval festival. It reminded me of Society for Creative Anachronism events. Almost everyone was dressed up and really into their character. Even little children. I had the most delicious waffle and watched performers and listen to medieval music. It was definitely my kind of fun.




The next day we had big breakfast then headed to the mountains for a little hiking. The Bavarian Alps are amazing--some of the mountains were so big that they had snow on the top still. We saw waterfalls, lots of cows, quiant villages, beautiful flowers and even wild strawberries. Yum! After that excursion we drove a bit to the medieval town of Rothenburg and did a bit of exploring. The best part came at dinner time--Käse Spetzel for me and Bratwurst for Lutz. I sometimes feel like I'm eating my way through Germany. It's so good! It was quite a weekend trip. I'm so lucky that the program put me with someone who likes to travel!

There is really too much to write about, but I will try to fit the important things from last week in my next entry. Bis Später!

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving your blogs. You are bringing back memories of our trip to Germany. We loved the food especially white asparagus (yum)! It was always amazing to me to visit all the ancient castles, etc. We are such a new country with so little history compared to Europe. Love You!

    ReplyDelete