Monday, July 6, 2009

Washington D.C.

I cannot believe that my dad dropped me off in Washington D.C. only a week ago. It seems like just yesterday I was boarding my flight to Frankfurt and at the same it feels like months ago. I will try to keep these blog entries short but there is too much to write. First of all, I feel extremely lucky to have found this program. Everyone is enthusiastic and very professional. I have had to pay for almost nothing. They give us pocket money to wander around the city of Bonn and take us on excursions out of town.
The drive down to D.C. was pleasant except that I left my toiletry kit in a restaurant on the way--not a show stopper though. I slept most of the way. My dad and I stayed in a military hotel in Washington and did a bit of touring on our bikes. I met the program coordinator for the U.S. (Sue Franck) and the rest of the students on the program at Georgetown University (beautiful campus and great facilities) where we stayed for two day of orientation. I had heard all of this stuff from the AFS Argentina orientation so it was nothing new for me--a bit boring but necessary for the other kids. We slept in the dorms and ate in the wonderful dining hall ( meal tickets fully paid for). We toured the German Embassy, the Department of State and the Capitol building--it is really a beautiful city with a lot of history. We boarded our seven hour flight to Frankfurt International Airport in the afternoon on July 2nd. Surprisingly it went by quickly as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment