Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween!

The past week has been just awesome. I recovered fully from the slight homesickness that I had a little while ago and now I have really found my nitch. I celebrated Halloween this year at this international english- speaking cafĂ© in the city center. I´ve become a regular there now. I´ve gotten to know the owner pretty well and sometimes I run errands for him and he gives me free drinks! The party last night was a lot of fun. I think the German kids are really jealous of kids in the US around this time of year. There was a ´Haunted House`in the basement and the line for the tour went all the way out the door. There were classic halloween movies and halloween tv show episodes playing on the giant flat screen tv, the kids played games and did face paint while the adults drank and checked out some of the english books and DVDs that you can borrow there. I helped out here and there with everything. (My costume got in the way sometimes. :) ) I was a medieval princess, which I´ve already been, but it is such a cool costume that I wanted to wear it again.





I am finally getting underway with my internship. I am meeting all the people that I will be working with and learning about some of the things that I will be doing. I was recently sent some pictures of when we went to do some biological work in a field. We had to clear out some invasive plant species. See if you can find me in this picture!



It is now November--supposedly the most depressing time in Germany. It is rainy and cold all the time and everything is just dead and gray. Maybe we haven´t gotten there quite yet because the weather has been great lately. The colors are beautiful and the air is crisp. This picture here is from the woods near my house. Plus, American Thanksgiving is coming up and I can´t wait to share this part of my culture with my host family and german friends. I need to learn how to explain the history behind it in german first! I´ll work on that!



No comments:

Post a Comment