Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fall Break

Hello everyone!


Last week I had a wonderful time visiting ITALY! My american father was there on vacation and I went down to see him. I took a train, so it was an all-day traveling thing, but I got to see some beautiful european landscapes. Austria reminded me a lot of The Sound of Music (which no one here has heard of) with all the high green mountains and clear blue water. Northern Italy was also amazing. There were so many vineyards! Everything was still very green and the weather was warm.


We stayed in a villa in a small town called Monte San Savino with about 20 other people. We took excursions everyday and learned a lot about the Italian culture. The first day I arrived, we just relaxed and I swam in the pool! I tried to soak up as much sun as I can before I went back to Germany where it is cloudy most of the time. The next day we went to Siena and explored. Apparently there is a big horse race there every year in Il Palio which was the main plaza. All of the buildings were very old and very typical italian style. The highlight of the trip was the Duomo in Siena. The details on the exterior were incredible. On Tuesday we went to a smaller city called San Gimignano were climbed one of the high towers and got to look out onto the breath-taking Toscan landscape. We went into a 1,000 year old church and ate gelato at the 2007 World Champion Gelateria. My dad always gets mint chocolate chip but I made him try some new flavors. Where else can you find strawberry and rosemary gelato?? On my last day there we went to Florence and visited the all the famous places like the Ponte Vecio, the Duomo, the Basilica of Maria Novella and some people in our group went to see the Statue of David, but I was not willing to pay 20 euros and wait in a line that was half a kilometer long. I was content with hearing the comentary from them afterwards. The best part of that excursion was the fleamarket. There were hundreds of venders and it must have taken up a good few blocks. It was mostly Italian leather products which the women that we were staying with went crazy over. I won´t deny that I really like the way leather wallets and bags look, but I cannot bring myself to support the leather industry. Luckily when I got home my neighbor gave me some leather shoes that he was going to throw out. Now I can make a wallet without feeling bad. I did buy a scarf though! It was a really long trip back to Germany and when I got of the train in Munich it was snowing! It was a great vacation, but I am glad to be home and starting my regular routine up again.


I only picked up a few words and phrases while I was there, but I am more interested in the practicality of a language rather than how pretty it sounds. A lot of people ask me why I would want to learn german. It is such a harsh-sounding language, isn´t it?? It is true that it is more gutteral than most, but it has some nice aspects to it. Almost all german words are spelled exactly like they are pronounced (unlike english) and you can be very exact with what you say. There is little room for miscommunication in german, but you have to be a patient listener because the verb comes almost always on the end of the sentence! Example:

*Viele Leute sind überrascht, wie schnell dass ich Deutsch gelernt habe.
literal translation: Many people are surprised how fast that I german learned have.

*Bist Du zur Schule mit dem Fahrrad gefahren?
literal translation: Are you to school with the bike driven?

Learning new languages scrambles your brain up sometimes.

Ok, bis nächste Woche dann!



ps. This computer is not allowing me to upload pictures

1 comment:

  1. Hey!!! Was soll das denn?! Italian is practical! Practically AMAZING. Duh. ;-)

    Glad you liked it there! And... Rosemary GELATO?! Awesome!

    Also you're a crazy-ass for making a wallet out of old shoes. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete