Monday, August 31, 2009

Finally settling in



Hallo everybody.
I have been in my new home for over a week now and it has been great. I get along really well with my new family and I have a fixed schedule of classes and activities. I meet with a group of "Ausländer" (foreigners) for a little while on Fridays to hang out and talk about our week (in german). I really enjoy my classes in school, although I understand very little. My head is so full of new words and phrases at the end of the day that I sometimes feel like they are all trying to escape by pushing on the inside of my skull. I keep them in there though by reading german text that I don´t fully understand and listening to the radio. I noticed that I am not as embarrassed to make grammatical errors when I speak here than I was in Argentina. It is easier to be a foreigner the second time around.
Another challenging thing is making sure that I do not lose my spanish while I am here. I have spanish class in school here which is pretty intensive, so I think I´ll be ok. My host family is also taking me to Spain for Christmas. I am so excited!
Bad news is that I think I need to get my wisdom teeth out while I am here. Good news is that my insurance pays for it. I am going to wait a bit longer and see how they are.
Ok, now for some cultural things I have noticed.
>Germans don´t understand the concept of one´s "bubble" and not popping it.
>Germans are very honest. They don´t intend to be mean, they just say what they think even if it comes out a little rude to Americans.
>Germans are more conscious about the environment. Everyone bikes, saves water, and separated garbage. I will write more about this in a later blog.
>Germans love American music, as does the rest of the world
>There are a lot of Turkish immigrants in Germany. Most native Germans resent the fact that a lot of Turks refuse to learn German, which I think is justified.
>Weird cloths are looked down upon.
>Most Germans do not wave the German flag for fear of appearing nationalistic.
>German universities cost next to nothing
>German schools are much harder than American schools
>Most Germans speak at least decent english.
>Germans love to travel

I think that is enough for today. I will try to get pictures up for the next entry--I cannot find a functioning USB port on this computer! Bis dann!

No comments:

Post a Comment